Thursday, May 26, 2011

He's Just Not That Into You


Many people have said they don't like the movie "He's Just Not That Into You." I, on the other hand, LOVE it. I think the movie and book speaks to so many levels of girls and that the message it sends allows an epiphany of sorts - although some may view the message as mean-spirited, generalizing men and saying the unspeakable to women, but it is so much more than that: it helps women realize that if a man isn't "into you" it is not because you are unworthy, it is because you just haven't found the right person (I guess men are just able to see that quicker, or maybe they are just better at closing their hearts; I'm not sure about that one).

Let me tell you my "He's just not that into you story," which actually involves the book. For the purpose of this blog, I will call him Eric. During high school I constantly imagined us as a couple, wanting him to want me, liking him so much I didn't open my eyes to other men, and only because we happened to spend so much time together. My best friend was dating his best friend and I thought it would be perfect if we could be together. Eventually, after nearly 3 years, I was running out of energy - at just about the time this book came out. The four of us went to dinner, another night where I asked myself "is this going to be the night where friendship becomes romance?" However, before dinner we wandered around the mall and I spotted this book, in front of him. It was just newly released and I read the back. In that moment, I had my epiphany. I realized with sadness and sense of relief that he just wasn't that into me. He wasn't, he couldn't help, but he just wasn't. It was what it was - in that moment I let go of all of my insecurities and became myself without hesitation. Soon afterwards he asked me out - I said no. I felt that going out with him would be step backwards for myself, not because he was a bad guy, but because I had grown up so much since that moment and I had become someone who didn't want him to want me or someone who imagined us as a couple. I was just myself. Just myself without a shadow of useless desire in on my face. When the right guy comes, I'll know and I won't have to wait three years before he decides he's interested.

*Nearly three years after college Eric dropped out of college, became an alcoholic and is on the verge of a drug addiction - he didn't hardly give me the time of day during high school, as I swooned over him, and now each time I see him I see someone I don't know walking in a body that used to hold someone I cared dearly about, but who wasn't that into me. Is this a full circle? I'm not sure.

That was pretty complicated, but I hope you got my gist.

No comments:

Post a Comment