Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Blessing Of Friendship

This is from my other blog, which I don't use as much as I'd like, but this particular post is especially important to me. This was posted in May and it still rings true for our friendship. I don't know what my life would be like without her in my ear each day, but I feel so blessed to have her. We are only 4 years out of high school, but there were other pairs like her and I that we thought would be friends forever, have not stuck it out. They have either lost touch, disagreed, or just let each other go. In fact, I had one relationship that I thought would go further than it has, but our differences have separated us.

Sometimes people come into our lives that stick around, and they aren't family. I wish each person could find another that they were able to connect to in this way - friends are one of the greatest gifts God can give us. So here is that post from May:

I wish you this friendship.

“She’s the mother I never had. The sister everybody would want. The friend everybody deserves. I don’t know a better person. It’s making me cry because I’m thinking how much I probably never told her that. We’re not like, ‘Oh, you, you’re my dearest friend . . . thanks.’ The therapy I didn’t have and don’t need is because of my thousands and thousands of hours on the phone with Gayle.

I get to release the day by talking it through. And I just realized she’s the friend everybody should have. I have said we are not gay enough times. I am not lesbian. Not even kind of lesbian. That irritates me because it means somebody must think I’m lying. That’s No. 1. No. 2, why would you want to hide it? That is not the way I run my life.”

Oprah was quoted as saying this during her interview with Barbara Walters about her relationship with Gayle. How frustrating it must be for both of them to have to confront such RIDICULOUS questions about who they are as individuals and as a pair.

I have concluded that not many people are blessed with such a person in their lives and that is why it is so heavily questioned - I, however, have been fortunate enough to find a best friend. And I don't use that term lightly; she truly is the BEST friend I could have ever hoped for.

She is the one person I am able to be completely honest with - I have no fear in telling her everything about myself. No hesitations, no insecurities. I am just totally myself, good day or bad. She lives 9 months out of the year in Virginia while I live in Michigan. We are 10 hours away from each other yet we still find the time to talk each day. To laugh, to cry, to vent, to discuss, to learn, to fight, and to love. We challenge each other yet we support each other, we bicker and laugh, we cry, and we fight - our emotions toward each other are completely unguarded. If I feel it, I show it. If I think it, I say it - but only with her.

I am not a lesbian. Nor is she. We both are very attracted to the opposite sex and are almost constantly talking about the men around us and hopefully one day each of us will find the man we are supposed to spend our days with, BUT she is still my soul mate - forever and for always.

No comments:

Post a Comment