Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dear Regret,

The time it takes to let go of you seems to drag on forever. You creep up in moments when least expected and crowd in on me when I am most vulnerable. Whether I think of you each day or only once a month, the years I have held onto you don't seem to be ending. The level of "i wish I had, I should have, I would change" is different each time it comes into my mind - I wish I had loved him more, I should have taken more risks, I would change how I ended "the" relationship. BUT I can't do anything to change what has happened and honing in on my mistakes and the "could have beens" is not going to create happiness in my life. There are things I would have done differently - there are times I wish I would have opened up - there are changes I would make to how I treated you, but "it is what it is" and accepting the past for what it is, is the ONLY way i will come to terms with the present.

I am still struggling, but maybe writing this (possibly confusing) message is another step in my healing/acceptance.

Thanks for the life lessons,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment